Re: Feedback

On Saturday, 30 April, 2011 09:40 PM, Jasper St. Pierre wrote:
====== Suspend instead of Shutdown ======

Surely this has been discussed extensively, I just want to mention that suspend simply does not work for me (tested on two computers, both do not wake up correctly).
I guess they do not want to listen as I recall.

Generally I like the gnome philosophy of simplifying things by removing options. But leaving non-technical users with a default setting that does not work is not a good choice.

It should only be a default if we detect you computer can support it.

Can you give us some hardware details, and try:

  pm-utils --suspend && echo "Supported" || echo "Not supported"

in a terminal?
IMO, the presence of "Suspend" should be only available to development builds(or optional in stable releases). I only once use "Suspend" in my system because it will mess the system and I will be forced to use the _reset_ button and I will never use it again as it may physically damage the Hard Drive. Calling the terminal is just a band aid, it doesn't work at large.

Regards,
Allan