Re: Command completer in runDialog

On Fri, 2011-03-18 at 15:55 +0100, Milan Bouchet-Valat wrote:
> On ven., 2011-03-18 at 14:48 +0000, Maciej Marcin Piechotka wrote:
> > I cannot say anything about "normal users" but I am expecting (i.e. what
> > I do when I press Alt+F2) to have combination of overview and terminal -
> > something like in Gnome 2, Gnome-do or quicksilver.
> >
> >  - I'm expecting to be able to run normal commands like pkill java. it
> > is important if:
> >    a) Application does not have .desktop file
> >    b) If it receive arguments not specified in .desktop file
> >  - I'm expecting to be able to type description of program and get more
> > or less auto-completed even if it does not match the exact command
> I can see how this would be useful in this dialog, yes.
>
> >  - I'd like to be able to search for recent documents. I always think
> > that overview mode is distracting.
> >  - I'd like to be able to do more advanced stuff like in quicksilver or
> > gnome-do. Say find a document I was recently working on (say odf or
> > LaTeX document) and do some work on it (say convert it to pdf and attach
> > to current e-mail).
> IMHO, and I think it's how it was designed, this kind of more complex
> feature should be in the overview, maybe as an extension. Definitely not
> in the Alt+F2 dialog.

I thought so. I'd love to have some blessed gnome-shell-extentions repo
which would follow release cycle of Gnome...

> The overview shouldn't considered be
> "distracting": it's the main area to run actions from the Shell. And
> it's already where you can find your recent documents (provided your
> system apps are built with GTK3).
>
> Cheers

Real live example - it happend to me 3 days ago. I was writing a report
and I needed to do some calculations. When going to overview mode I do
have feeling that I am switching task. On the other hand with Alt+F2 I
don't have any window movement and I stay focus on task. I remember what
I am doing right now.

The additional benefit of Alt+F2 is that it is cross-platform.

Regards