Re: On dynamic text expansion in message tray when an icon is hovered

Il giorno dom, 26/06/2011 alle 14.24 +0200, Marcel ha scritto:
> Am 26.06.2011 14:13, schrieb Tim Cuthbertson:
> > On Fri, Jun 24, 2011 at 11:40 PM, Nguyen Thai Ngoc Duy
> > <pclouds gmail com> wrote:
> >> Does anybody else find it difficult to click on an icon in message
> >> tray? If I just move my pointer a little bit further to next icon on
> >> the right of the icon I want to select, the icon will be moved and it
> >> takes more time to move my mouse back and forth to locate to my icon.
> >>
> >> Why can't we just use tooltip instead and make icon placement more persistent?
> >> --
> >> Duy
> >
> > Agreed. This makes it impractical to actually use the notification
> > area without having to be really careful. I assume there's a redesign
> > of that area in the pipeline (it seems unloved, and the whole panel
> > applets issue still seems somewhat under-developed), so hopefully
> > that's going to be fixed as part of that work? (I'm just guessing, I
> > have no idea if any such work is even planned).
>
> People always said that clicking the text works fine, therefore the
> jumping icons are not a problem. With Pidgin however, clicking the text
> just shows the recent notification (which made me want to open the
> contact list!) and doesn't behave like clicking the Pidgin tray icon
> directly. That only works as intended when there's no recent notification.
> (Should this possibly go into a bug report? I've no overview which bugs
> are known...)

Actually, this behaviour is intended. It was chosen to account for
programs like gwibber and liferea, that have both a notification and a
status icon. Without that, it is impossible to access the notification
from the message tray.
The right fix is to detect the persistence capability in libnotify and
use that instead of status icons; support for systray is just for
compatibility with existing apps.

Giovanni