On dynamic text expansion in message tray when an icon is hovered

Does anybody else find it difficult to click on an icon in message
tray? If I just move my pointer a little bit further to next icon on
the right of the icon I want to select, the icon will be moved and it
takes more time to move my mouse back and forth to locate to my icon.

Why can't we just use tooltip instead and make icon placement more persistent?
--
Duy