Ideas and suggestions for Gnome shell.

Hello everyone.

This is my first post to this mailing list. I have been using gnome for
the past 2 years and Gnome 3 for the past 15 days. I loved Gnome 3.0 :)

After using it for the past few days, I have a couple of ideas I wish to
share.

*I am NOT going to touch the minimize button or the power off option
issues. I
like things the way they are with regard to these.*

1. The Activities hotspot should work when using applications in
full screen mode. For example, while using evince in full screen mode,
moving the mouse to the top left corner should bring up the shell
overview.

2. I loved the idea of being able to search google and wikipedia by
typing in the overview mode. It will be awesome if someone can also
include a dictionary search feature with this. Being able to look up a
word by typing it in the overview will be very useful. Also, if it can
work as a simple calculator, it will be useful.

3. In the new Gnome 3 work flow, I find right clicks to be getting in
the way of doing things. Especially in the file browser. If the most
commonly used menu items from the right-click menu are replaced by
icons on the side of the screen, it might make the work flow more
efficient. I am not sure if the gnome-shell is responsible for
providing this feature. I am suggesting it here because the core of
gnome shell seems to be improving the work flow, and this is a method of
improving the work flow.

4. The applications tab in the overview will be nicer without the "all"
category. In computers like mine which have a large number of
applications installed, the number of icons that have to be shown under
the "all" category is huge. I have around 214 icons that are shown in
54 rows, 4 icons per row.  Since I have to either use the search
feature, or go to a more specific category to find the icon I am
looking for, the "all" category is useless. In my opinion, the
application tab will look and feel cleaner without the "all" category.

5. I liked being able to respond to empathy chat messages directly from
the notification area. It would be awesome if I could also read emails
and send quick replies the same way. Basically, I am talking about
a more complete integration of evolution with the gnome shell.

6. Many times, I like to start a new application in a fresh workspace.
An "Open in new workspace" option in the right click menu would be
nice.

Hope I was of some help. :)

Cheers,
Dilip.