Re: signal/noise ratio of the list [was Re: gnome-shell-list Digest, Vol 31, Issue 122]

On Thu, Jun 2, 2011 at 2:08 AM, Luis Villa <luis tieguy org> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 1, 2011 at 5:59 PM, Artur Wroblewski <wrobell pld-linux org> wrote:
>> On Thu, Jun 2, 2011 at 1:21 AM, Maciej Marcin Piechotka
>> <uzytkownik2 gmail com> wrote:
>> [...]
>>> Both
>>> sides uses the same arguments over and over again and trivial search of
>>> this ML would answer to all arguments, counterarguments etc.
>>
>> well, maybe if gnome had something like python or java have (pep, jcp),
>> the problem would be marginal.
>
> Gnome-shell has been the best specified project GNOME has ever done.
> No amount of constructively discussed specification and design can
> prevent non-constructive people from screwing up a mailing list,
> because all it takes is a handful of people with too much time on
> their hands to

fair enough. but on other side it is hard to find any _documented_
information about the design decisions. gnome shell design wiki
page is very generic. you could stop some of the discussions
just by referring to some gep or whatever.

imho, above would be much better, than developers proposing to detach
themselves from the users and testers even more. yes we invest
our time into the software too and to invest more time people need to
understand why something is better. it seems, that gnome currently
has problem communicating that.

[...]

best regards,