Re: signal/noise ratio of the list [was Re: gnome-shell-list Digest, Vol 31, Issue 122]

On Tue, 2011-05-31 at 08:38 -0700, Luis Villa wrote:
> On Fri, May 27, 2011 at 4:36 PM, Brian Baker <brian m baker-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w public gmane org> wrote:
> > I must admit I am fed up with reading about power off suspend etc. The thing
> > with Linux is choice, there is always choice! just as some enterprising
> > person created an extension that allows the possibility to shutdown the
> > computer! If you choose use it! Google is such a great tool you can find out
> > so much with just a few clicks. Just as you can choose to use gnome-shell or
> > not! Having to Wade through a mailing list of useless rants to find useful
> > information totally defeats its purpose! If you want to complain or are
> > unhappy then do something like educate yourself and choose something that
> > you will be happy with there are many flavours and options in the Linux
> > community because everyone has different needs and wants. But please find a
> > forum start a thread and do your unconstructive complaining elsewhere!!!
>
> I jokingly told someone Thursday that the list should be read-only or
> moderated unless you have demonstrated that you're a useful
> contributor by having more than a certain # of bugzilla points.
> Couldn't hurt to try, since it is clear that, at this signal/noise
> ratio, paying attention to this list and doing productive work are
> very nearly incompatible.
>
> Luis

+1. Although I was once asked on Gnome bugzilla by person who had more
points then I did (I was already double-number then) what do I mean by
'zombie process' ;)

I don't like everything about GNOME 3. I disagree with a few
decisions[1] and I see a few areas of improvement[2]. However recent
threads became IMHO unproductive both for observers and developers. Both
sides uses the same arguments over and over again and trivial search of
this ML would answer to all arguments, counterarguments etc.

I'd like to still have some non-IRC channels[3] of contacting the
developers. I found, until recent, that while not all ideas are accepted
from time to time they are considered.

As much as I don't like moderated mailing lists I'm afraid it become
necessity and alternative not to open but r/o ml.

Regards

[1] Say reboot and deleting file (ok. it's nautilus but it's GNOME 3
design) for example
[2] That said I started using (unsuccessfully) hot corners in Windows
etc. and I find overall experience. I used the gnome-shell for over a
year now with breaks (about 5 months uninterrupted).
[3] I generally have bad experience with IRC as usually developer is
sleeping/at work when I want to contact him. In addition to other IRC
shortcomings.