Re: getting rid of topbar

On Fri, Jul 15, 2011 at 3:08 PM, Artur Wroblewski <wrobell pld-linux org> wrote:
On Fri, Jul 15, 2011 at 5:25 PM, Jasper St. Pierre
<jstpierre mecheye net> wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 15, 2011 at 11:55 AM, Federico Mena Quintero
> <federico gnome org> wrote:
[...]
>> - Gnome-shell wants to have a coherent design.  Still, it needs to
>> accept that not everyone's needs are equal.
>
> It doesn't need to.

Is above nice try to start another flamewar titled "how to alienate own
user base" or can you backup above statement with some reference
to documentation?

Don't get me wrong. Maybe, if goals (i.e. specific user base) were
communicated more clearly, then various people would stop whole
"extensions" harrasment.

OK, before this quote gets taken out of context, I read it entirely from the point of view of the extension developer. "it needs to accept that not everyone's needs are equal" was read by me as "it needs to accept that people often want to do different things". Acceptance, in this context to me, was adding specialized hooks to the shell. Apologies to you and Federico.

Extensions can monkey-patch stuff, so I don't think it's worth the time and effort to try and accommodate extension developers with pre-fab hooks when we don't even know what the most popular extensions will be doing.

Best regards,