Re: getting rid of topbar

2011/7/14 Artur Wroblewski <wrobell pld-linux org>
I would really appreciate explanation why the code has to be so
complex? IMHO, simple Main.panle.actor.hide should be intuitive
enough. What's its other purpose? Why it does not hide whole
panel (API (?), i.e. "panel._leftCorner" suggests that corners are part
of the topbar).

Simple - the panel actor (without the corners) is used to set the struts, so that windows are "blocked" by the panel. The corners are *not* used to set the struts, as we would end up with a gap between the bottom of the corners and the bottom of the main panel actor.

(Yes, we could hide the corners "automagically" when the main panel actor is hidden, but the panel is *supposed* to be always visible)

Keeping in mind that your extension is doing stuff that is conflicting with the gnome-shell design, you cannot really expect a convenience API for that purpose; especially as there is literally an infinite number of stuff that is conflicting with the design, it would be impossible to provide a convenient API for any of those.

Or in other words: you want to do unsupported stuff, you'll need to jump through some hoops. That is still a lot better than most environments (including GNOME 2!), which simply don't allow to do unsupported stuff at all.

Florian