Re: getting rid of topbar

On Wed, Jul 13, 2011 at 1:55 AM, Florian Max <florian muellner gmail com> wrote:
> 2011/7/12 Artur Wroblewski <wrobell pld-linux org>
>>
>> On Thu, Jun 2, 2011 at 10:26 AM, Florian Müllner <fmuellner gnome org>
>> wrote:
>> It is quite worrying that simple Main.panel.actor.hide is
>> not enough. Why hackery involving subcomponents of
>> topbar is required? (I don't care about animations and
>> so on)
>
> That is because the panel sets struts[0] accordingly.
>

>> Any tips how to simplify the code above?
>
> If you don't care about the animation, you can just set the properties
> directly, e.g.
>
> Main.panel.actor.height = 1;
> Main.panel._leftCorner.actor.y = 0;

OK, got the Tweener idea now. :)

> Note that the corners don't affect the struts, so a simple
> corner.actor.hide() should work

As I wrote above. Using just

    Main.panel.actor.hide();
    Main.panel._leftCorner.actor.hide();
    Main.panel._rightCorner.actor.hide();

hides panel indeed, but empty space of topbar
height is left.

> ; I don't see why you set the opacity of
> Main.panel._boxContainer, Main.panel.actor.hide() should do the trick.

It seems (I copied the code from someone else), when setting actors'
properties directly, that without opacity trick the contents of the panel
is still being visible (it is drawn on top of your maximized window).

>> Or should I report a bug about Main.panel.actor.hide?
>
> It's not specific to Main.panel.actor. I'm not sure if there is a reason for
> allowing hidden actors to add struts, I filed a patch[1] to find out ...

I will look into your bugzilla report, ASAP. Thanks.

Best regards,

Artur