Re: GNOME and ANDROID

> Um. I'm not sure how you're getting there from here. How does Android -
> 2.3 or 3.0 - resemble GNOME 3? The major feature of GNOME 3 is the
> Overview; Android does not have anything like this. It has an app
> browser, but this has no concept of switching between windows; Android
> isn't a window-based interface. It has no windows at all, which is
> another obvious difference.

Android has not windows? I'm sure it has windows; it has a slightly different
idea of windows: you cannot resize them, you have nowhere to drag them, you
cannot maximize-minimize. It is "oriented" (don't know if it's the correct
word) to small devices, such as smartphone and tablets.
It's like the Iphone interface: you don't have a "start" menu, you don't have
a "menu" with accessories,applications,settings; you have instead many screens
that you could slide left-right in which you can see lots of icons; each icon
belongs to a different application, so at the end you'll have a mess (newspaper
apps mixed with medical apps, calculator hide between settigns and
internet browser,
etc.). It's like the iphone, from which all new gui derive (IMHO) :);
and bo th iphone
and samsung galaxy are phones.

And the gnome Overview (for me) resembles a phone/tablet interface.
You have to press super,
click on applications, and wait 2 seconds to see a group of icons
(many are similar
each other) in which it is really difficult (for me, only for me) to
grasp what you need.
With a traditional menu, you just have to click on gnome-foot, or
windows start, or xfce menu, what
ever you want, wait 0.001 s and you'll have a fully organized menu.

I'm not saying that gnome3 is not  beautiful; i like it, it is
aesthetically very pleasing.
I'm saying that i lose much more time using gnome3 than gnome2: if i
have to switch between
apps, with gnome2 i can simply click on the beauty,small,clear icon on
the taskbar;
with gnome3, i must:
1. press super
2. struggle with my eyes to find the window i need
3. click on it.
This process is (for me) made more difficult by animations.

Also, if i want a task bar, why should i rely on a third party
extension which is more prone
to crash than an integrated component?

And if i would add maximize,minimize why should i use gconf-editor?

And if i didn't want animations, why should  i switch to "fallback"
mode? Couldn't it be "traditional"
mode? why could i choose, if i wanted, to disable compiz and i can't
disable animations?
Animations are not good for everyone; after a while, i feel "dizzy".

The big changes made with GNOME3 could make life easier for someone,
and much more difficult for others.

This is my opinion :)

daniele