Re: Gnome Shell

I think you need to press "group reply" or something similar to send mail to this list.

On Saturday, 29 January, 2011 08:03 AM, Marshall Neill wrote:
Allan,
I know that it is an old version, that was the point I was trying to make. I feel that they have deviated and to be honest and probably piss people off, screwed it up.
Oh, sorry. For me the current design is almost okay, but these are the things that needs change at least for me: 1. The ICONS on other left side during overview mode will scale to tiny pieces when you run many applications. Very ugly. If you have 15 applications running, what will happen? You need that accessibility thing called "magnifying glass." 2. The description of the icons when pressing the application button under overview mode is unreadable.
I mean the stuff is aots (all over the screen). You have the panel, then applications across the screen and other options. No centraiization.
I agree. This is my number 3 that needs changing. This thing inspires me to design a kind of desktop (just a drawing) just to my taste but not relevant to the current GNOME Shell. Just for fun :)
With the old one, which I feel is superior, was centralized, organized. Applications weren't just dumped onto the screen and left to the user to find the one they wanted.
The old one is mature and old, and we need to make another shell, or else GNOME desktop would be completely left out in the dark.

I know, I know, I am an opinionated a*****e. But I felt I had to say what perhaps some were thinking but were too polite to say.
Again, the new interface reminds me of Unity on drugs.
Regards,
Marshall Neill.

On 01/28/2011 05:26 PM, Allan E. Registos wrote:
By looking at your screenshot, you have a very old version of GNOME Shell.
You may consider using the latest version:
https://webstats.gnome.org/GnomeShell

*From: *"Marshall Neill" <ramien43 windstream net>
*To: *gnome-shell-list gnome org
*Sent: *Saturday, January 29, 2011 4:10:47 AM
*Subject: *Gnome Shell

Hello everyone,
Well I have been viewing for the past week or so the progress on the shell.
It would appear that the shell is deviating from the original
implementation.  I felt, probably the only one, who thought that that
was the wrong way.
I customized my shell to be as shown in the attached screenshot.

This, to me at least, was clean and organized.   The only thing missing
was the fact that all the applications were not visible as I believe
they were in one or more of the earlier implementations.
If that had been included, then the next thing to do would have been to
have a option on the panel to display, via popup menu, all current open
applications which would have been visible by a simple mouseover/hover.
Then all the user had to do was click on the application or press Esc to
discard it.

I have a feeling I am a bit late and perhaps opinionated, but it's just
how I feel about the current direction.

Regards,
Marshall Neill