Re: Chatting on Gnome-shell

On 01/21/2011 09:53 AM, Allan Day wrote:
Onyeibo Oku wrote:
After a chat session with a friend while running Gnome-shell, I decided
to illustrate my previous suggestions.  I have attached a screenshot of
my chat (with his permission) here:
http://picturepush.com/public/4899595

My observations once again:
1. Its hard to differentiate between my text and his.
2. The gradients behind the text are supposed to fix the problem in #1
but they don't do that effectively.  They add to the visual chaos.

My Suggestion ... see:
http://picturepush.com/public/4899601
1. I think coloured and/or bold text will do it better
2. Feature requests:  Add the fading to the top of the text scroll as
the text leaves the chat dialogue. Make the Icon more prominent, indent
text to the right if necessary, to allow an enhanced icon.  If it sticks
out, COOOOOL!.

I think you're on the right lines here. Have you seen the current mockup
[1] for this? It takes a similar approach.

Best,

Allan

[1]
http://git.gnome.org/browse/gnome-shell-design/plain/mockups/static/conversations2.png

*Now that's what I'm talking about*

So when will these mockups make the branches? Someone in this thread mentioned that Gnome-shell and Empathy are sharing telepathy and that Gnome-shell only seeks to replace the notifications.

It looks more like a full front-end with an input box ... and not just a mere notification replacement. It should then come full with its emoticons etc. while Empathy should provide the chat engine. I don't buy the duplication of interface