Re: Chatting on Gnome-shell

I said that both Empathy and Gnome-Shell are "interfaces" for
Telepathy, which is the real "Chat Engine".

Telepathy is the thing that allows you to chat, Empathy is a GTK+
client for Telepathy that hooks
up the Telepathy machinery to GTK+ and displays it on screen. That
said, as I understand it, the
only front-ends that I've seen are the ones on the Shell, Moblin,
Empathy, and the Sugar stuff.

Someone might want to correct me on this, but Telepathy is also going
to support a contact service
called libfolks that will be used by Evolution, the Shell and Empathy.

What I meant by the special-casing last time was that if you don't use
gnome-shell, you'll get a notification
like "You got a message!" That's going to go away in Empathy
eventually, but for the mean time our notification
service blocks out those notifications, as the native Telepathy
integration in the Shell takes over.

On Fri, Jan 21, 2011 at 1:47 PM, Onyeibo Oku <twohotis gmail com> wrote:
> On 01/21/2011 09:53 AM, Allan Day wrote:
>>
>> Onyeibo Oku wrote:
>>>
>>> After a chat session with a friend while running Gnome-shell, I decided
>>> to illustrate my previous suggestions.  I have attached a screenshot of
>>> my chat (with his permission) here:
>>> http://picturepush.com/public/4899595
>>>
>>> My observations once again:
>>> 1. Its hard to differentiate between my text and his.
>>> 2. The gradients behind the text are supposed to fix the problem in #1
>>> but they don't do that effectively.  They add to the visual chaos.
>>>
>>> My Suggestion ... see:
>>> http://picturepush.com/public/4899601
>>> 1. I think coloured and/or bold text will do it better