Re: Gnome-Shell - questions and opinions

On Mon, 2011-01-03 at 23:06 +0000, Adam Williamson wrote:
> I'm not sure to what extent you can expect people to make this leap.

So, what you're saying is that people understand that they can have
multiple "home screens" (which are completely not static - they in fact
all have apps of one kind or another running on them), but they could
never grok "workspaces". I find that hard to believe.

Just look at various Android "home screen" UIs. Some of them even have
"pinch to zoom" on any home screen, where you actually get all home
screens visible at the same time and you pick one you want. In that
representation they are spaces, for all intents and purposes (they are
just not called spaces). Some phone web browsers are working the same
way as well.

So, extending this metaphor to the desktop is a no-brainer. Give users
credit - vast majority of them already to this stuff every day.

--
Bojan