Re: Gnome-Shell - questions and opinions

On Tue, 2011-01-04 at 08:27 +1100, Bojan Smojver wrote:

> Workspaces may have been unusual in the days of complete Windows
> domination (during which time everybody had to suffer the cluttered, all
> windows of top of each other UI). Not any more.

I'm not sure to what extent you can expect people to make this leap.
Phones work very differently to computers and people use them for very
different things, however much we might want to look at them as becoming
increasingly less distinct when we're thinking about the hardware and
the coding.

I think it's significant that I've *never* seen anyone in the phone
world, that I can recall, refer to 'workspaces'. The typical language is
'home screens'. Inherent in this language is that these are a quite
different thing from the 'space' (quasi-physical or mental) where you
use applications (or 'apps'). I think probably using iPhone / Android
builds up a two-level mental model where you're either casually
interacting with multiple widgets and launchers on your multiple home
screens, or 'using an app' (which you may have launched from any of your
multiple home screens).
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey