Re: Gnome-Shell - questions and opinions

On Tue, 2011-01-04 at 08:32 +1100, Bojan Smojver wrote:
> On Mon, 2011-01-03 at 15:37 -0500, Owen Taylor wrote:
> > If you *don't* want your windows moved around when selecting them (you
> > don't want that feature of the overview), then wouldn't you just click
> > on them?
>
> Not sure what you mean by this. Take this as an example: 20 open windows
> across 6 workspaces. How am I meant to click the right one without
> seeing the workspaces? Or are you saying that there is a way to turn
> expose behaviour off in overview?

GNOME Shell is designed with the expectation that users will have
overlapping windows. It's not designed for spreading out windows
non-overlapping among multiple workspaces.

The basic function of workspaces in the current design is to represent
separate tasks with the expectation; most switching will occur between
windows within the same desktop.

There are going to be improvements for switching between workspaces (see
http://jimmac.musichall.cz/log/), but current plans are to keep things a
two-level thing - switch workspaces than switch windows.

- Owen