Re: Gnome-Shell - questions and opinions

On Mon, Jan 3, 2011 at 1:27 PM, Bojan Smojver <bojan rexursive com> wrote:
On Mon, 2011-01-03 at 15:37 -0500, Owen Taylor wrote:
> What make you think that we are exclusively focused on workspaces? Our
> expectation is really that a lot of users will never use them.

More people are aware of workspaces these days then you may expect. Lots
of folks have either Apple or Android phones, which have some concept of
workspaces (at least for the menu grid if nothing else). Many also use
various pads, which also have workspaces of one type or another.

Workspaces may have been unusual in the days of complete Windows
domination (during which time everybody had to suffer the cluttered, all
windows of top of each other UI). Not any more.

Yes, this is true, the phones interestingly enough are bringing in workspaces.  Iphone for instances uses workspaces internally for their web browser.  So I think people will grasp workspaces quite easily the only thing would be the constant temptation to reach for the screen and move the workspace by hand.  Shell has an interface that would work in a phone fairly well.

sri