Re: Gnome 3 desktop issues

On 9 December 2011 22:52, Adam Tauno Williams <awilliam whitemice org> wrote:
> On Fri, 2011-12-09 at 18:23 +0000, Tim Murphy wrote:
>> Quite a few people have mentioned the same thing on this mailing list,
>> including myself.  You'll get told:
>> 1) to keep trying till you change your mind
>
> And people keep insisting that asserting #1 is wrong.  It isn't.  I
> changed my mind; initially I was dreading the changes GNOME3 shell
> brought.  I was wrong.

Yes it's wrong because it is rude to assume that people have to agree
with you if they tried hard enough.   It's amazing that this isn't
obvious and that's why it comes up again and again. Some people
listen, others don't.

>> 4) if you don't like something you can always make a hotkey to do it
>
> +1 Always an excellent suggestion.  Doing so [having a hot-key] for
> common behavior is always going to be faster than any other method.

It's a GUI - if you need a hotkey then it has failed to be graphical.
Simply - you have an undiscoverable feature - where's the visual
reminder?   Why not invent the hotkey-ui with no graphics at all? Then
your DE won't impinge on anything at all - you can have a totally
black screen and a piece of paper next to you with all the hotkeys. By
the way that's a joke. Again it's amazing that one has to explain.

Regards,

Tim

--
You could help some brave and decent people to have access to
uncensored news by making a donation at:

http://www.thezimbabwean.co.uk/friends/