Re: Why do XTerms behave so badly in the Gnome Shell?

"Jasper St. Pierre" <jstpierre mecheye net>
writes:

> Just checked, and it works properly here.
>
> On Sun, Dec 4, 2011 at 2:51 PM, Michael Welsh Duggan
> <md5i md5i com> wrote:
>> Slowly but surely, I am getting used to the Gnome Shell and the way it
>> works.  However, one major problem I am having is with the lowly XTerm.
>> Unlike most programs, I cannot Ctrl-click on the icon in the dash and
>> get a new instance of an XTerm.  Also, when I have many XTerms, I get a
>> separate instance in the dash for each, unlike other programs.
>
> This means the app tracking isn't working. Try something like this in
> the looking glass and tell me what it says (make sure that all your
> xterm windows have "xterm" somewhere in the title!):
>
> Shell.WindowTracker.get_default().get_window_app([x for each(x in
> global.get_window_actors()) if
> (x.meta_window.get_title().indexOf("xterm") >
> 0)][0].meta_window).get_id()

Well, this particular invocation ends up resulting in an error, but
that's because indexOf("xterm") is equal to 0 for all the windows in
question.  If I change this to >= 0, the return value is window:3.

--
Michael Welsh Duggan
(md5i md5i com)