Why do XTerms behave so badly in the Gnome Shell?

Slowly but surely, I am getting used to the Gnome Shell and the way it
works.  However, one major problem I am having is with the lowly XTerm.
Unlike most programs, I cannot Ctrl-click on the icon in the dash and
get a new instance of an XTerm.  Also, when I have many XTerms, I get a
separate instance in the dash for each, unlike other programs.

I could use the Gnome terminal, but I would prefer to stick with XTerms,
since I have a strong preference for the Athena scroll bar widget.

--
Michael Welsh Duggan
(md5i md5i com)