Re: Disliking gnome 3

On 08/30/2011 03:36 PM, John Stowers wrote:

Out of curiosity, are there any links to this?  I'm curious to see
how folks actually use the new features productively.

The videos on gnome3.org might be a start, perhaps a little simple.
Anyway, speaking to *my* own workflow, slightly adapted from defaults,
an iterative merging of G2/compiz/mac/all my past computer experience.

Here's a desktop capture..normally I'd have even more windows open, but
just rebooted recently and haven't re-logged in to all of the test systems
I will eventually be using.  This is my home system too...monitor at work
is a good big larger (23 inches, I think).

http://www.candelatech.com/~greearb/misc/Screenshot.png

I have several code editor windows open, some editing local java files, the
other editing files on a 32-bit build machine over nfs over the VPN.  We make
a client/server app, so normal use is editing/compiling on two different machines,
and testing on at least a third (and often multiple systems).  We have a 64-bit build machine
that I use a lot as well.

The terminals are used for ssh access to the test and build systems for testing,
looking at logs, compiling, etc.  A local terminal runs our GUI and I watch it's
output for logging, exceptions, etc.  I often cut and paste between terminals,
editors, etc.

IRC always in bottom left, just enough visible to see if someone has written something
with a glance.

I don't use the Applications & Places pulldowns often, but I find them way more useful
than the non-fallback gnome-3 thing that hides all other work on the desktop while you
are looking at huge icons.  It's enough to make me forget why I was looking there in the
first place.

I dearly miss the G2 system monitor applet that showed network, cpu, swap load etc.
That was a quick help in finding run-away programs eating all the cpu, or watching
network activity to have an idea of how much our GUI was communicating with the server.

I find the task bar vital to switching between the various terminals.  I'll rename their
title when I get too many and they get scrunched in tight.  And I'll also drag them around
so that similar things are close together.  I don't reboot often...hopefully only every month
or two at most.  This isn't a laptop, and never hibernates.

I use a single work-space.  I tried multiple before, but it just never worked out for me.

On gnome-2, I could load a system from bare metal and use it with zero tweaks to gnome,
aside from dragging a Terminal icon into the top bar, maybe adding a few applets.

Thanks,
Ben

--
Ben Greear <greearb candelatech com>