Re: Disliking gnome 3

> Out of curiosity, are there any links to this?  I'm curious to see
> how folks actually use the new features productively.

The videos on gnome3.org might be a start, perhaps a little simple.
Anyway, speaking to *my* own workflow, slightly adapted from defaults,
an iterative merging of G2/compiz/mac/all my past computer experience.

* Assign shortcuts to super (i.e. super +t = terminal, super +m =
(un)/maximize windows, super up/down for workspace change, etc). This
gets one in the habit of using super. That leads into
* Super as a window management tool - brings up the overview. Not the
way I manage most windows but like compiz/mac expose. See again below.
 * Super + search for finding applications and recent documents (soon to
be all documents since needed infrastructure for searches using
tracker/zg was just merged). Keyboard navigation for results.

Once applications are launched.

 * One / two maximised / tiled vertically windows, perhaps a terminal
either pinned to the top in a corner, or just alt+tab to raise it.
Implicit benefit of widescreen monitors, but I think this is a valid
future trend to assume anyway.
 * Tile / maximize windows by dragging to top/left/right.
 * More windows than that -> use super, re-arrange into workspaces or
choose from there (IIRC a bug to allow keyboard selection of windows in
overview has been fixed?)
 * Suspend always to keep work arranged as you left it.

So once you use it like this, no minimize and no taskbar are different
sides of the same coin.

Super/Overview gives me an idea of what is running (like the taskbar
would), and for a small number of windows on a workspace i can see them
all maximised / running anyway. Once you work like that,
minimise/maximize buttons are a confusion.

Once you use super for driving your computer launching apps via an icon
seems slower. I use the mouse much much less now than I ever did with
G2[1]

I don't really use the dock. I don't really use the user menu. I dont
use that empty application menu at the top. Maybe that is just me.

Sorry for the rambling.

John

p.s. Apologies for reply all, resend.

[1] I'd also like keyboard shortcuts for maximize /tile left side of
screen, right side of screen. Bug I guess.