Re: Named, persistent workspaces

Elia,

We've already seen that tagging applications doesn't always work,
because the same app has meaning in different contexts and thus
spaces.
But the same is true of files, only even more: the same HTML file
could be opened with an editor in one workspace where I work on it,
with a browser in another workspace where I preview my site. What
should I tag it? "editor" or "web site preview"?

I honestly don't see the difference there. If your previewing is related to your editing, I would put them in the same workspace because, to me, they're different parts of the same activity (which is editing the site and seeing how it looks).

Or let's say that I have a media file, such as a video clip. Sometimes
I'm editing it, sometimes I'm transcoding it, sometimes I'm just
viewing it. For which space should it be tagged?

Same as above.

Really, I'm not claiming that this solution magically solves every problem ever, or covers every case. Of course it can go wrong at times, misinterpret your intentions... when that happens, you can just drag the window out of the workspace if you don't want it there. Same as you would have to drag it inside the workspace in the case you were proposing.

If you ask me, I'm 100% sure what you're asking is not going to be done. I'm trying to give you a second best that has some chances, and propose it to the folks who make the decisions. You can see where it can be improved (as I'm sure it can) or just reject it headon. That's your call.