Re: Named, persistent workspaces

Hi Elia,

The behaviour currently presented in the shell (dynamically managed,
ad-hoc  workspaces) is a great way to introduce even a casual user to
the concept of separate workspaces and solving the simple problems of
"I need more space for my windows" or "I don't want to see this window
right now".

Agreed.

As users become familiar with the concept, though, it's possible that
many of them will start thinking along different lines, where the
spaces are planned beforehand and consistently to organize their work
(a space for the editor, a space for a "research" browser window, one
for email and so on), in line with what power users of unixy OSs have
been doing since the dawn of time.

I think that the beauty of the new system is that it removes the need to plan workspace management beforehand. Advanced users already can use a dedicated workspace for a given app (they only have to middle-click its launcher for it to open in the empty workspace) and drag existing windows in order to group them in a single workspace, if they are related.

My personal opinion is that what you are proposing would detract from the simplicity of the new workspace system. So, what actual benefits would it bring to the table? That is, why would an advanced user want to plan his workspaces beforehand? How would it be better than doing it on the fly?