Re: How does gnome-shell handle urgent windows?

The one annoying thing about the notifications is what happens when your not at your desk.    Is it possible to get the gnome-shell to "re-show" any alerts not acknowledged, like a reminder?

Or how about doing something like docky.   When docky is hidden if there's something waiting there's a red transparent halo that appears at the bottom of the screen.   Maybe have something similar, a transparent halo or something in the bottom corner saying something is waiting for you.

On Wed, Apr 20, 2011 at 6:46 AM, Milan Bouchet-Valat <nalimilan club fr> wrote:
Le mercredi 20 avril 2011 à 11:58 +0200, David Prieto a écrit :
> Hi Milan, thanks for your reply.
>
> One of the things this person likes about this kind of notifications
> on Windows is that they're visible all the time, even if you weren't
> looking at the screen when the notification appeared, even without any
> user interaction (as opposed to moving the cursor to a screen corner).
>
> Does Gnome-shell consider any case where notifications are present all
> the time, just as explained?
AFAIK, in GNOME2 when the window asked for user attention, the panel
made it blink until clicked. No idea what Windows does in that regard.

In the Shell, the notification is shown only once for a few seconds, but
it will stay in the messaging bar as long as the window isn't focused.
And that bar is automatically shown when you return from idle, which
should be OK for your use case.

> Also, he told me that an open Firefox window with gmail on it will
> appear as urgent when someone talks to you on gtalk. I haven't seen
> that behavior on Gnome-shell, should that trigger a notification too?
I don't know how this works, but probably the Firefox window simply asks
for focus, which will trigger the notification. One should check if
that's the case.

(But ultimately GTalk chat should be done via Empathy, and it will be
really well integrated into the Shell. Web browsers aren't IM apps...)

Cheers