Re: Messaging Balance with Empathy

Hi!

> As a little wish, it'd be nice if the use cases of 'old skool'
> communicators could be considered here - i.e. those of us who use IRC
> heavily. Empathy isn't very good as an IRC client for my uses - it's
> clearly just shoehorning IRC into the old MSN/AIM 'chatrooms in an IM
> system' paradigm and it really doesn't fit in.

Well, that is a problem of empathy (though I use it as IRC client) and
there are several bugs filed against it.

> xchat-gnome doesn't seem
> to have been hooked into the whole notification-area-messaging setup at
> all...it'd be nice if that could happen. Or, of course, someone could
> improve Empathy's IRC-fu vastly, or write something new and better than
> xchat-gnome, or whatever...it'd just be nice to have a shiny new
> generation GNOME Shell IRC-based messaging experience!

I doubt somebody would want to duplicate xchat-gnome but it seems that
it can be integrated, take a look at marina's screenshot:
http://blogs.gnome.org/marina/2011/04/06/everyone-is-talking-about-gnome-3/

Regards,
Johannes