Re: My first impression of GNOME 3

Il 20/04/2011 01:40, Dylan McCall ha scritto:
> Is it just the concern of bothering the end
> user with too many options, or is the “making things easier for
> developers” rationale correct?

_I_ believe that "making things easier for developers" involves "making
things prettier" for the end user.

Just take a look at KDE, although it supports user customized themes,
the main system provides a solid standard theme (Air) and - personally -
all of the Qt4 apps looks quite well integrated with the main system.

Now, take a Gnome 2.X desktop where the user changed both the Gtk+
engine and the theme, open up a couple of apps and they will look like
they were written for two different desktops; add to this that every
distribution out there provides a different theme: what should a
developer do at this point? He's just stuck with the default
colors/widgets, hoping that they will fit into the user theme.

Things had to be changed, and this is certainly a nice enhancement for
the GNOME's Desktop Experience.

My two eurocents.

--
Massimo Gengarelli <gengarel cs unibo it>
According to the laws of aerodynamics, the bumblebee can't fly either,