Re: Messaging Balance with Empathy

On Tue, 2011-04-19 at 22:53 +0200, Johannes Schmid wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Am Dienstag, den 19.04.2011, 21:42 +0100 schrieb Chris Baines:
> > I love the new chat features in Gnome Shell, but sometimes I want to
> > contact someone, or set my status to off-line, it seams I cant do this
> > from the shell. What is the purpose of empathy and what is the purpose
> > of the shell when talking about communication?
>
> Not completly sorted out yet. There is a (growing) thread on
> desktop-devel-list to resolve this for 3.2. This involves things likes
> "People" tab in the overview, etc.

As a little wish, it'd be nice if the use cases of 'old skool'
communicators could be considered here - i.e. those of us who use IRC
heavily. Empathy isn't very good as an IRC client for my uses - it's
clearly just shoehorning IRC into the old MSN/AIM 'chatrooms in an IM
system' paradigm and it really doesn't fit in. xchat-gnome doesn't seem
to have been hooked into the whole notification-area-messaging setup at
all...it'd be nice if that could happen. Or, of course, someone could
improve Empathy's IRC-fu vastly, or write something new and better than
xchat-gnome, or whatever...it'd just be nice to have a shiny new
generation GNOME Shell IRC-based messaging experience!
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey