Re: using Gnome-Shell with 90% of all applications is absolute garbage.

On Thu, 2011-04-14 at 16:13 -0400, jordan wrote:
> > By "cairo's", do you mean http://cairo-compmgr.tuxfamily.org/ ?
>
> yes, indeedy.
>
> > Ssome simple hardware information would help: if you are using a proprietary
> > driver like nvidia's, performance is slow, as was compiz was at first.
> > nvidia eventually fixed their driver for compiz, and now it's blazing fast.
> > Similarly, I've heard that the latest beta version of nvidia's proprietary
> > driver supports gnome-shell much better.
>
> Nvidia 9400GT  (using Latest driver 270.41)

> Nvidia 9800GT (using 270.41)

The proprietary driver is almost certainly the problem here. If you try
a recent Fedora live image you could see if it runs better with nouveau,
it almost certainly will. (I have a 9400 GT in this system, and Shell
performance is very good).
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey