Re: Terminology (was: Re: Some small ideas for the Shell Panel and Overview)

Hi Adam,

On Wed, Apr 13, 2011 at 4:16 PM, Adam Williamson <awilliam redhat com> wrote:

> Looking at context, I think you're right - thanks for the catch. My
> answer is almost the same, though - I never use that at all, and I agree
> with you and John that it seems completely useless. It's always felt to
> me like something that was put in because no-one could think of anything
> much better to go there. =)

That's not the case; there has always been some design behind it.
Stuff doesn't just happen randomly.  See:
http://live.gnome.org/GnomeShell/Design/Whiteboards/AppMenu

> In An Ideal World it could maybe replace menu bars in apps entirely, a
> bit like the 'Office' button in recent MS Office releases, but I don't
> see that happening any time this millennium.

Since implementing this is a top priority for 3.2, that'll make the
next release 989 years early!

Note the design goal isn't to replace the menu bar in *all*
applications; rather, some of them.