Re: Gnome objectives

On Wed, Nov 24, 2010 at 2:44 PM, Thomas Bouffon
<thomas bouffon gmail com> wrote:
> 1) Which features of the gnome shell do you consider more ergonomic
>>
>> 2) How do you find the gnome shell more productive than then classic Gnome
>> DE?
>>
>> than the classic gnome?
>
> I would answer both at the same time since ergonmy is the key to
> productivity.
>
> The list can be long :
>  - The tiled view is awesome. I like it better than the expo plugin of
> compiz since the desktop are seen bigger.
Yes, that's one of the few things shell has implemented well.

>  - The launchers which point to the app if it's already started. No use for
> an applist bar. Docks have been doing this for a while.

I don't understand this... sorry.

>  - The depth of menus is shorter

Hu? You like all applications listed in one list rather than categories?

I get ~70 applications in one shot, and I have to hunt around for my
favorite applications in that list. It takes around 1/3 times the time
and effort to do the same with the classic menus.

Can you do it faster with shell?

>  - mouse gestures are easier & faster than clicks. Most actions are
> performed with one click and only one.

That's also true with the classic desktop - mouse gestures.

> in general, my feeling is that gnome-shell does at least as good as
> gnome+compiz+cairo-dock with way less config hacks than before. I'm using
> gnome-shell at work, while previously I was using gnome+compiz+cairo-dock. I
> have to manage ~20 computers, and tweaking compiz to get from eye-candy to
> real useful was some work. Now i get useful functions out of the box.

If I every use compiz, it's primarily for eye candy... you're right
here, but with the classic desktop combined gnome shell is a
downgrade. How it's not is yet to be proven.