Re: Compiz and complexity

El dom, 30-05-2010 a las 16:33 +0200, Rovanion Luckey escribió:
> Well yes it is very much possible to use both Metacity and Compiz at
> the same time, I am so doing right now.

No, you don't.

> Metacity is on a default Ubuntu desktop the window decorator, it draws
> the borders around the application.

Wrong. Metacity is the default window manager of the GNOME project. It
also decorates windows(*), but this functionality is inseparable from
the window management.

> Compiz is the window mananger, [...] used in the default Ubuntu setup.

Correct. The compiz window manager uses an external program for window
decorations - by default, it uses gtk-window-decorator, which allows the
use of themes developed for metacity.(**) Note that gtk-window-decorator
is developed by the compiz (fusion?) project and has no ties to GNOME in
general or the metacity project in particular.

(*)  just like probably every window manager on earth except compiz
(**) bluntly put: gtk-window-decorator is a program which can read
     another program's file format, just like open office understands
     Word documents