Re: Compiz and complexity

El dom, 30-05-2010 a las 15:51 +0200, Johannes Schmid escribió:
> well, either compiz or metacity as both are not possible ;) I think that
> was what Florian meant.

Exactly.

> And well, legacy GNOME involves only gnome-panel and metacity.
> And metacity is super stable and slowly moving but still will be a
> perfect window-manager for a long time.

Certainly. I'd just like to add that metacity will live on in mutter,
which of course is very actively developed - so people who want to run
legacy GNOME for other reasons than hardware requirements can do so with
a mutter + gnome-panel combination (not that I would encourage doing
so ...).

El dom, 30-05-2010 a las 16:09 +0200, Frederik Nnaji escribió:
> ok. Makes sense on the stability side, but i think reducing legacy
> GNOME to gnome-panel and metacity alone is a little short on some
> ends..

Could you elaborate on that? If you take GNOME Shell out of the
equation, you get a very evolutionary update (on the user-visible side
at least - under the hood there's a huge platform cleanup)