Re: A task panel

" It's typical for a few
dissatisfied people to make a lot of noise while the majority of
satisfied keeps quiet."

From what I see here I think it's the minority who are happy.

I for one don't like the particular way that window management works, I'm reasonably satisfied because alt + tab is a pretty good way to switch windows, this won't be the case for the average user though.

For example after showing gnome shell to two of my family members in it's current state, both hated it because of "the inability to quickly and efficiently change windows"

The old system worked so why not use something similar, I mean you could easily display active applications to the right of the app menu, maybe to conserve space just have a heavily padded icon there and no text and align the clock to the left where it currently sits in the gnome 2x line?

Something needs to be done though, wherever I see a discussion about gnome shell there's always the gripe of window management, and I know it's already been said but that is VERY apparent on the Ubuntu forums:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1305154&highlight=Gnome+3.0

From: Tomasz Sterna <tomek xiaoka com>
To: Leo <leolas92 gmail com>; gnome-shell-list gnome org
Sent: Thu, 20 May, 2010 13:24:52
Subject: Re: A task panel

Dnia 2010-05-19, śro o godzinie 00:50 +0200, Leo pisze:
> All the common users who have tried Gnome Shell have been having
> problems when it came to change application.

I tend to think twice when I'm eager to use words such "all", "none",
"always", "never" and "we". I know that I don't know every single case.

As for all the "task switcher" noise - It's typical for a few
dissatisfied people to make a lot of noise while the majority of
satisfied keeps quiet.

So, to make a contrary case, at least I am one very satisfied with the
current GnomeShell way of handling application windows and see no need
for a dock, task bar panel switcher or anything such.
Activities Overview is a great concept and I don't need anything more.