Keyboard shortcuts ideas

Hi everyone,

I have been using gnome-shell as the default WM for quite some time and I have to say that I really like it.

I would like to share some suggestions which would make life easier for me. I am a keyboard addicted user, that's why all the ideas relate to key shortcuts.

I am used to open apps and files typing in the search area. However, when I want to open them in a new workspace, I have to use the mouse after I found them. It will be helpful to have a key modifier to open a selected item in a new workspace using the keyboard. Alternatively, it will be ok to be able to open a new workspace from the keyboard, since then the searched app would open in the just created workspace.

I would also like to be able to switch from the linear space to the grid space with a key. That's useful when I want to have a quick look at what other apps I have opened on other workspaces, and then return to the linear view which helps to stay focused on a task. Doing this with the current shell requires to switch to mouse (at least for what I am aware of).

If somebody can give me some hints about where this stuff is specified in the shell and how to change it I may try to code it by myself (if you find it useful). However, it might prove to be too much trouble since I never coded anything near to GUIs and I am limited to scientific algorithms C++ coding.

I hope you find this email useful,
Cheers,
Alessandro