Help?

I know this may not be the most appropriate place to ask this, but I've been tying to keep up with gnome-shell, and this seems the best place to do that and ask questions (the gnome forums seem a bit dead . . .)

Firstly:
I use the ppa for gnome-shell, and try out the latest build every few days, but I've noticed, the screen flickers when some affects happen e.g. when I click the clock top-center and it drops down, the screen flickers whilst doing so, likewise with the notifications at the bottom of the screen but not when the activities button is clicked.

If it helps my graphics card is a "256MB NVIDIA GeForce Go 7300" , I've heard that Gnome shell requires 3D acceleration but I thought my graphics card could handle it, and I have the latest drivers installed for my graphics card.

Secondly:
Is there anyway I can help with the development? I know HTML + CSS and some basic _javascript_, I can't help in the following weeks (exams coming up) but I'm sure I'd have time to burn in the summer holidays :-)

thanks
-Sean