Re: Space, Times and projects

Hi Giovanni!

I've seen your page and I must admit I like it. Just I think the
"Desktop" is not the right concept here. In fact, the desktop
metaphor, while being very familiar to users, has some limits:
 - like wooden desktops, it tends to become a mess;

It's already a mess. I don't know anybody capable to keep a desktop clean and a strict folder organization.

 - it requires you to minimize the current windows (something we should
  avoid given the difficulty to restore a window).

It's a big problem in my opinion, if we can't minimize windows we can't use the only desktop folder we have.

In addition, the GNOME 2 desktop implementation has some more
"flaws" (as I see them):
 - it mixes volumes (USB, SD), network shares, standard icons (Computer,
Trash) with real existing files

I don't understand, don't we already do that?

 - being a Freedesktop, it uses $XDG_DESKTOP_DIR (and assumes there is
one such directory)

I know it's a big change ;)

Therefore I think that projects should be moved to a separate ~/Projects
directory, and that an extension be made to Shell to add either a
Plasma-like widget to the background, clearly distinguished from the
remaining ~/Desktop, or something like the proposed Task Pooper,
overlaying windows from the bottom.

I have made a  mockup with a Plasma-like widget but it just hided a unnecessary desktop because at this time  we are working in a project. I deliberately decide to not use widget and  directly put the documents on the desktop.
http://nsa15.casimages.com/img/2010/05/02/100502065741947598.png

Also, I think that instead of fixed directories like ~/Projects/Work and
~/Projects/Home, we should add tags in each directory, using a .project
file, or extending current .directory syntax. In particular we should
avoid dot-files whenever possible, as GtkFileChooser showes them
randomly

I prefer working in a desktop folder, because in my idea I display the folder in full screen.
But if we can tag any folder, and transform it in a desktop folder, it's can be interesting.
For technical questions, it seems important to have a draft copy on a USB stick and go with all the elements the most easily possible.
For technical questions, it seems important to easily copy on a USB stick and go with all the elements as simply as possible.

kind regards,
Kao

Giovanni