Re: Is the Minimize button still useful with gnome-shell ?

Definitely agree that the minimization effect would need to be altered and your suggestion for the gnome-shell display would make sense, if minimization stays.
 Secondly I remembered another way how I used to keep my windows organised when using compiz, you could set it up in such a way that if you drag a window to the border of the screen it would switch to the next workspace and you could drop and leave the window there. At least it doesn't add new UI element to gnome-shell, which I definitely think is a good idea.
David Mulder