Re: Why nested alt-tab?

I'll +1 this as well in case it helps.  In fact the nested alt+tab
switcher is the thing I like the least about gnome-shell.  I run my
own modified version that eliminates the nesting thumbnails completely
and just makes alt+tab switch apps only.  I then use the
metacity/mutter "cycle_group" shortcut to cycle to the window that I
want inside of that app (but usually its the last used window anyhow.)
 I also prefer alt+tab to bring all windows of the selected
application to the front, leaving the most recently one focused, of
course.  I think this fits into the app-centric mentality that
gnome3/gnome-shell is trying to emphasize/foster.

Just my 2 cents.