Re: live wallpaper

2010/1/17 Joern Konopka <cldx3000 googlemail com>
Hi All, i hope i did everthing right considered this is my first Mailing List Answer EVER, but i just wanted to lose some words about the Live Wallpapers.

Im not gonna delve into the discussion about Nautilus drawing the Icons since its quite a Topic for itself.

I think implementing Live Wallpapers at this point of gnome-shell development is just too much to ask for honestly, it might look nice at first sight but we really should focus on more important stuff right now like f.e. getting an Extension System rolled out, have some Customization Options integrated into the Shell for switching the Black Look to something more personalized (some people love a pink or blue background, simple as that), make the new Notifier System really usable (in a PRODUCTIVE way), have good Zeitgeist Integration thats really giving User advantages while browsing Recent Files, have more Keyboard Actions for the Shell so people wont have to click on pretty much everything and so on and so on, i could point out a list of maybe 50 features and the Live Wallpapers would be way below that list.

Im not saying it totally sucks, maybe some people will actually like it, but we should focus on giving everybody a good Working Experience for the Everday Tasks before we start thinking about Features that exist mainly for Eyecandy.

I wish I didn't, but I agree with that.  Gnome-Shell (and Gnome 3 in general) should be functional before it's pretty.

The problem with that, if Gnome 2 is anything to go by, is the developer attention may never go to making it all look sexy, especially not in terms of additional features rather than just changing the colours.  For example, we still don't have global support for transparency in GTK.

--
Sam Illingworth
Sent from London, Eng, United Kingdom