As for playing video on the desktop - shouldn't that be a feature request for the totem devs? [MPlayer has a "-rootwin" option to draw video to the desktop]

If anyone wants to implement realise this as any kind of new project - my suggestion is to please consider making it as a Gnome project but not explicitly part of gnome-shell, the feature just doesn't need to be implemented in the project and can be implemented better (I think) seperately.

Nat

On Sun, Jan 17, 2010 at 7:57 AM, <gnome-shell-list-request gnome org> wrote:

Message: 7
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 2010 20:56:54 +0000
From: Sam Illingworth <hushnecampus gmail com>
To: Shane Fagan <shanepatrickfagan ubuntu com>
Cc: "gnome-shell-list gnome org" <gnome-shell-list gnome org>
Subject: Re: live wallpaper

On 16 Jan 2010, at 04:39 PM, Shane Fagan
<shanepatrickfagan ubuntu com> wrote:

> On Sun, 2010-01-17 at 01:32 +0900, matsuo wrote:
>> (2010?01?17? 01:09), Shane Fagan wrote:

>>> It can be done with a single click at the moment. You just have to
>>> have
>>> an animated image and it is part of the default.
>>>
>>> Shane
>>>

>> of course if you are a programmer and have experience, it will be
>> easy,
>> but if you are a newbie which i think a lot of ubuntu user are now,
>> it
>> isn't that easy i think.
>
> It shouldnt take too much programming, just detect the click event
> get x
> and y then do what you want with that info to the svg. I dont really
> see
> the point in actually doing it but it wouldnt be too hard for anyone
> (with a little googling).
>

> Shane

I think that's what he's suggesting the developers should do. He's
asking for a feature - it's not a feature if you have to code it
yourself.

Personally, I'd be happy with a nice user driedly GUI front end for
setting up xwinwrap to play certain videos or apps as my background,
while also displaying icons, but I think Matsuo's idea is nice too. At
the moment Gnome has, unless you're willing and able to devote a lot
of technical expertise to changing it yourself, far less visual flare
than other OS frotends, it'd be great to change that, not just to play
catch up but to offer more and cooler effects than other OSes, without
needing to be a technical wiz to enable it.

Sam