Re: Re : interapplication communication

On Wed, 2009-12-30 at 17:30 +0100, Rovanion Luckey wrote:
> But then again. What is the function of the top bar if you move the
> notification area to the bottom?
>
> By moving the activities button to the bottom panel there is no issue
> in removing the top pane since the only thing that it currently
> provides is a clock and a user settings menu. Or is a Mac OS like menu
> planned for the top pane?

The top panel currently contains:

 - The Activities button

 - The application menu (currently, it's an application label, but
   it's supposed to be a drop down with application-global options)

 - The clock

 - The system tray, with power, wireless, volume, etc.

 - The user menu to change status, get to preferences, log out, etc.
   (the label for this includes the icon for the user's current status)

Those 5 things admittedly don't use every pixel, but using every single
pixel isn't a goal; having more than 5 distinct things on a single
screen edge sounds excessive.

There are no plans for a Mac-style global menu. As well as concerns
about compatibility with existing applications, we thing it's best to
keep actions that are related to a particular window tied to that
window, rather than moved to some different part of the screen.

- Owen