Re: Re : interapplication communication

@_@ i really need to remember to cc this stuff. Sorry Owen for the repeat.

"In terms of a task list - I think *not having a task list* is one  the
| defining characteristics of the current design. Once you add something
| like a task list or a dock, many other aspects of the design have to
| change"

Your making it much more complicated then it has to be. The beauty of a dock is that it can be as simple or efficient as you like.
Customization is key.

As for user testing, I recommend bringing it to a school to find out if students would use it/prefer it. However in that case you will also find that students don't really use anything other then a web browser, in which case more of a chrome-os style should be implemented.

I believe one of the reasons (correct me if wrong) that Owen might be stubborn to allow change to said design is that he belive's shell should be stabilized foremost and implemented into fedora so they can gain real feedback. Then once they have recieved feedback shell can finally shift much like the current gnome into a more customizable and usable interface. Which is not necessarily a bad thing. Although with Ubuntu's current strides in bringing the desktop to the people, and of course all linux users for that matter i'd say that time is of the essence.

And at that tone may I suggest http://meson.us/gallery/GnomeShellDraft.jpg ( yah I'm trying to clean it up :p)
It has an (icon mode) for more power users but by default it is like shell+android for a very user friendly, (I just need to get my work done) approach.

On a side note the docked applications could also be websites (web+os), and to solve some of the problems hinted at the begining of this email. - imagine the overlay and the top bar as once single piece where you could drag the favorites box to the top panel to make a dock. Yay, bubbles..will try to describe when I redo my mock up on gnome Shell if that is,.. it stands a chance.