Re: some thoughts on gnome shell

I agree with the Mac OSX dock, which is hard to navigate of which icons, since you can't really recognize an image of your icon unless it is "Firefox" or "Thunderbird" of which we are so familiar with their associated icons.
This same issue I can also found with gnome-shell with the APPLICATION feature where we can find tons of icons, it is hard to navigate even if it is Firefox when the icons are too many. The last time I check the gnome-shell with jbuild, the search feature doesn't work out of the box except for some applications. Yes, I am hoping that the critical issues will be resolve before releasing it to the public(I heard delays, but that is to be expected) to avoid repeating the problem we have with KDE 4.0. The Application mockup looks great. But honestly, this mockup only reduces the problem of "hard to navigate" to "less hard to navigate" with the addition of app categories. And it is easier for most users since they don't really have tons of icons of each app category.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Grizzly(Francis Smit)" <grizzly smit id au>
To: gnome-shell-list gnome org
Sent: Sunday, August 1, 2010 1:08:22 AM
Subject: Re: some thoughts on gnome shell

On 01/08/10 01:26, Ryan Peters wrote:
> Hello Francis,
>
> On 07/31/2010 12:50 AM, Grizzly(Francis Smit) wrote:
>> 1). the menus are a pain if you don't know the name of what ur
>> looking for, u cannot browse
> I'm pretty sure this is the case for every operating system once you
> first use it. Exactly which menu are you talking about? Applications
> menu, clock preferences menu, user menu...? Note that GNOME Shell will
> look much different
> <http://git.gnome.org/browse/gnome-shell-design/plain/mockups/static/overview-application-picker.png>
> in the future, and the menus you find hard to navigate (in this
> example, the applications menu) will be much easier to navigate.
ok that looks much better how soon will I be able to play with this :-P
>> 2). and theres no where to put my short cut links, in normal gnome I
>> have 4 panels top bottom and each side top and sides have lots of
>> quick launch launchers i.e. icons and some applets, I love applets
>> bottom is my taskbar I love that two I hate the taskbar
> The application switcher lets you have "favorite" applications. This
> is much more space-saving than quick-launch links because it only pops
> up when you need it to and it gives you much more vertical screen
> space. If you require launchers like that, try launching something
> like DockbarX in standalone mode, using Docky/AWN/Cairo Dock, or some
> other solution that can run independently of the panel.
>> which brings me to
>> 3). no taskbar I need my taskbar switching apps in gnome-shell sux
> The Application switcher is actually much more efficient than a
> standard panel-based application switcher. Applications are grouped
> and it's easy to find specific windows if you have many open. As I
> said earlier, independent "dock-style" programs could help your
> apparent need for an always-visible application switcher.
ok I'll try some of those again, but I'm turned off when people describe
these things as being like Mac OS X as I find that system repulsive, as
far as I'm concerned OS X is the ugliest desktop I have ever seen

--
   In my life God comes first.... but Linux is pretty high after that :-D
Grizzly(Francis Smit)