Re: raindrop messaging integration

On 26/10/09 10:32 AM, Sriram Ramkrishna wrote:
I went and built raindrop just to see what it can do. I haven't quite gotten a good grip on it yet. It seems though that integration with Zeitgrist might have some advantages. I don't know what a visual shell and raindrop would do other than notifications?

Sorry, I had to look up with Zeitgeist was because honestly I haven't really seen it before. From what I understand Zeitgeist could look to Raindrop for access to messages but we really are building a much higher level API than that; centered around People and Conversations that take place on the web. i.e. over email, twitter, facebook, and others.

Our API will end up looking something like this:

GET /raindrop/people/list
GET /raindrop/people/b3794d6a-147e-49e2-8ccf-78a7eb3bb9d4
GET /raindrop/conversations/list
GET /raindrop/conversations/236fbd42-dcf1-4c6e-9f95-8e4706fd2e70

Though lower level access to individual messages will exist, we're building for clients that aren't necessarily interested only in individual messages. Likewise the Raindrop idea of a Person isn't exactly what most other systems expect, we have the concept of a person that might exist only via a web page, email address, twitter/identi.ca or facebook id.

So it's possible to build a typical Twitter, Email, or "Finder" client that uses Raindrop as the backend for the data however part of our mantra is that there is just too much "backend type data" out there so we have new APIs to deliver "the real" data. And because the real data is all returned in JSON from a service accessible by multiple clients I am hoping that there will be some easy and interesting ways of integrating into the shell.

Thanks for taking a look!

Cheers,
~ Bryan