Re: Couple of Suggestions

On 10/19/2009 10:57 AM, iain wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-10-19 at 10:34 -0400, Dan Winship wrote:
>>>
>>> I don't know what alt-tilde is used for, but it's an awful combination
>>> for people who use keyboard layouts with dead-keys.
>>
>> On a US English keyboard, ` and ~ are on the key above Tab,
>
> Thats the problem though, key placement: On a UK English keyboard ~ is
> the shift option on the key beside the return key on the complete
> opposite side from the tab key and alt-~ would just be awkward to use.

Um... ok, so I can't tell if my last message was actually unclear or if
you just didn't finish reading it, but:

  1. The binding is supposed to be "Alt + whatever key is above Tab on
     *your* keyboard". That is, it is defined in terms of a key that is
     physically located in a particular position, not in terms of a key
     that generates a particular keysym.

  2. Currently that is not implemented, and the binding is just "Alt+`"
     for all users. This is a bug. (Specifically, it's bug 596231.)

  3. We haven't bothered to fix the bug yet because it has not been
     conclusively decided that we're keeping the binding, or that we're
     keeping it bound to "the key above Tab, whatever that may be".

-- Dan