Re: Couple of Suggestions

On 10/19/2009 06:46 AM, Gustavo Noronha Silva wrote:
> On Sat, 2009-10-17 at 09:29 +1100, William Madden wrote:
>> to the window I want. It would be better if alt-tilde on its own
>> brought up the display and started changing windows of the current
>> app.
>
> I don't know what alt-tilde is used for, but it's an awful combination
> for people who use keyboard layouts with dead-keys.

On a US English keyboard, ` and ~ are on the key above Tab, and we were
considering using Alt + that key as "cycle through windows". (It already
works inside the Alt-Tab switcher.) Assuming we stick with this, there
will eventually be code to fix it so the binding is always "Alt + the
key above Tab", not "Alt-`" (it's actually "`" that it checks for now,
not "~"). Even if that physical key is bound to a dead key in your
layout, it wouldn't matter, because deadness is a per-modifier-state
thing, so Alt+that key wouldn't be dead just because the unmodified key was.

>> 2) Windows on the current workspace
>
> Please. I tend to use a workspace per activity - and I believe this is
> where shell is (was?) going to try and lead the user.

That was never really the intent, that was just a common
misinterpretation based on the early mockups.

> The problem
> is, since the number of workspaces and windows is big, my alt-tab
> switcher goes beyond the screen borders

There are bugs about that

-- Dan