Re: The weird Close and Info buttons

On Mon, Oct 12, 2009 at 2:19 PM, Mark Curtis <merkinman hotmail com> wrote:

>> From: myxiplx googlemail com
>> Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2009 10:19:42 +0100
>> Subject: Re: The weird Close and Info buttons
>> To: merkinman hotmail com
>> CC: gnome-shell-list gnome org
>>
>> On Mon, Aug 17, 2009 at 7:12 AM, Mark Curtis <merkinman hotmail com>
>> wrote:
>> > I'd say rather than the close button in the upper right, but the close
>> > button to the left of the + button.  Either immediately tot eh left or
>> > the
>> > left hand side of the workspaces window.  Your ideas still have the
>> > problem
>> > with the 'prank' in that you can constantly click the mouse without
>> > moving
>> > it to open numerous windows, but must move the mouse around to close
>> > windows.
>>
>> No, you don't want to do that, it gives you more work and less
>> consistency. Although it may sound logical to link the two buttons
>> together, they actually have quite different needs.
>>
>> Having a close button in the top right of each workspace:
>> - is consistent with users experiences of closing other objects
>> - gives you a dedicated close button for each window, reducing the
>> chance of a mis-click
>> - Can be done with minimal modification of the existing code
>
> So are we used Chrome's new tab window as a basis? If so the only flaw I can
> see in the whole thought process is Workspacess CANNOT be removed in any
> order.

Whoah, ok.  I can see I need to start playing a lot more.  I never
realised this.

That's a major limitation if you want people to launch new workspaces
for tasks they are doing.  I'd assumed it was much more organic than
that.  Once I'm done with all the programs in one workspace I'd like
to close it down, I don't want to be shuffling things around.

>> Putting it down by the + button:
>> - means it's another behaviour to learn
>> - makes it a two click action - click once to select the workspace,
>> and again to close
>> - increases the amount of mouse movement needed
> The entire + thing is a new behavior to learn, also it's a - not x so if
> users were even going to associate them, they'd expect to be able to remove
> them in any order, which they can't.   CASE POINT:  A user opens Evolution,
> Nautilus, then Rhythmbox.  The user can close Nautilus without first closing
> Rhythmbox.
> I never suggested double click, I said a hover, would show the workspace to
> be removed, then a single click to remove it.  How is keeping - in the exact
> same spot on the screen increasing mouse movement?
>
>> Plus adds a workspace, so there's a good reason to have that separate
>> - it's not tied to the behaviour of any one item. Close however works
>> much better when attached directly to the workspace it will be
>> affecting.
>
> But as I've said before, currently - always affects the most recently opened
> workspace.  Change that, and I'll agree with the rest of your idea.

Yup, I take back my idea completely.  If that's the current behaviour
then yes, the remove button should be right next to +.

I'd personally like to see that behaviour changed, but that's a whole
new discussion.