RE: The weird Close and Info buttons

> From: myxiplx googlemail com
> Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2009 10:19:42 +0100
> Subject: Re: The weird Close and Info buttons
> To: merkinman hotmail com
> CC: gnome-shell-list gnome org
>
> On Mon, Aug 17, 2009 at 7:12 AM, Mark Curtis <merkinman hotmail com> wrote:
> > I'd say rather than the close button in the upper right, but the close
> > button to the left of the + button.  Either immediately tot eh left or the
> > left hand side of the workspaces window.  Your ideas still have the problem
> > with the 'prank' in that you can constantly click the mouse without moving
> > it to open numerous windows, but must move the mouse around to close
> > windows.
>
> No, you don't want to do that, it gives you more work and less
> consistency. Although it may sound logical to link the two buttons
> together, they actually have quite different needs.
>
> Having a close button in the top right of each workspace:
> - is consistent with users experiences of closing other objects
> - gives you a dedicated close button for each window, reducing the
> chance of a mis-click
> - Can be done with minimal modification of the existing code

So are we used Chrome's new tab window as a basis? If so the only flaw I can see in the whole thought process is Workspacess CANNOT be removed in any order.

> Putting it down by the + button:
> - means it's another behaviour to learn
> - makes it a two click action - click once to select the workspace,
> and again to close
> - increases the amount of mouse movement needed
The entire + thing is a new behavior to learn, also it's a - not x so if users were even going to associate them, they'd expect to be able to remove them in any order, which they can't.   CASE POINT:  A user opens Evolution, Nautilus, then Rhythmbox.  The user can close Nautilus without first closing Rhythmbox.
I never suggested double click, I said a hover, would show the workspace to be removed, then a single click to remove it.  How is keeping - in the exact same spot on the screen increasing mouse movement?

> Plus adds a workspace, so there's a good reason to have that separate
> - it's not tied to the behaviour of any one item. Close however works
> much better when attached directly to the workspace it will be
> affecting.

But as I've said before, currently - always affects the most recently opened workspace.  Change that, and I'll agree with the rest of your idea.